7.26.2010

Doggie Biscuts!

Earlier I tried my hardest to take a nap, to no avail because of the heat I decided to bake something ( genius, I know right?) except this time it wasn't for me or my family it was for my 4 legged fur babies, I have never attempted to bake dog treats before so I wasn't quite sure how it would work out, all I have to say about it is sooo easy!


My favorite ones are the little men shaped ones, I am sure If I would of done them all that way the dough would of yielded way more than it did. Here is the basic recipe I used, I changed it up a bit due to lack of peanut butter.

Basic Doggie Biscut:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375'F. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk, then add to dry ingredients and mix well. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Bake for 20 minutes on a greased baking sheet until lightly brown. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container

The changes I made; I only had 1/2 cup of peanut butter left so I subbed the other 1/2cup with apple sauce (unsweetened), I also added a packet of chicken gravy to the dry mix(the kind with no sodium)...
A tip: When you roll out your dough, be sure to use lots of flour on your working surface, hands and cookie cutter because the dough is extremely sticky, also instead of oiling use bakers joy baking spray, that way your doggie isn't ingesting excessive amounts of oil.

The dogs went nuts over them, they absolutely loved them. I love the fact that these took 30 mins from start to finish and the price is maybe .02 cents a biscut...


Peanut biting the head off her biscut :)))

<3 W

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com